One blogger recently said “toast is as old as sliced bread but it is fun and hip again!” That best describes a cool trend happening with bread.
As President of a bread bakery, when people learn what I do for a living, great conversation about bread often takes place. Here in the Northeast, people share with me that there is a growing fatigue with drive-thru bagels and breads that these restaurants thaw and serve. There is also a weariness with chain store bread shops and standing in lines. People are re-discovering the joy of eating breakfast at home!
Everywhere I travel, I stop in the bread aisle of grocery stores and watch restaurants and cafes for creative things people are doing in the world of bread baking. In the Western USA, gourmet toast is a trend pairing exceptional breads with toppings of the same artisanal quality. Monks’ Bread is an exceptional premium quality bread, perfect for eating with your favorite healthy super foods.
Here are some ideas for quick simple healthy gourmet breakfast toppings to create a tasty breakfast at home that far exceeds your local drive-thru coffee place. Try these suggestions on Monks’ White, Whole Wheat, Sunflower, Multigrain, Rye, and our morning sweet breakfast breads–Raisin Cinnamon and Maple–and enjoy a few extra minutes at home in peace to energize you for the day ahead before rushing off into your day (courtesy of Buzzfeed.com)!
• Sliced Avocado + Crumbled Feta + Pomegranates + Olive Oil
• Raspberries + Blackberries + Basil + Light Cream Cheese
• Ribboned Cantaloupe + Chopped Walnuts + Agave + Goat Cheese
• Sliced Banana + Almond Butter + Chia Seeds
• Refried Beans + Salsa + Cilantro + Fried Egg
• Goat Cheese + Sliced Strawberries + Shelled Edamame + Balsamic Vinegar + Sea Salt
• Sauteed Kale + One-Egg Omelet + Grated Cheddar Cheese
• Sliced Dried Figs + Ricotta Cheese + Sesame Seeds
• Sliced Pear + Ricotta Cheese + Honey
• Mashed Chickpeas + Tomato Slice + Fried Egg
• Sliced Apple + Honey + Blue Cheese
• Smoked Salmon + Ribboned Cucumber + Light Cream Cheese + Scallions
Read more about how toast has become the latest artisanal food craze.
Let us know what your favorite combinations are. Do you have any other ideas for toast that are unique and special?
Till we eat again!